Wednesday, July 09, 2008

"Today was a bad day!"

To explain the title of this entry...many times... at bedtime Lynzi and I will talk about what kind of day we had. Tonight she gave me hugs and kisses and she said, "Today was a bad day." Here's why..........

When I got Lynzi up this morning I said, "Get up! Today is the day you get your shots for Kindergarten!" She was sooooooooooooooo excited. She would let me shave her head if it meant she got to go to school. So at 3pm we get to the doctor's office. They did a full physical...all is going well. I asked her if she wanted to sit on the table or on my lap when they do the shots. She pointed to the table and said, "Because I am a big girl." So the nurse comes back in and does a hemoglobin test. She had to prick two different fingers. The first one...good for Lynzi, bad for producing useful blood. The second one...good for producing useful blood, bad for Lynzi. You could tell she was sad, and holding back tears. As soon as the nurse left she started crying...with no sound...just tears a-flowin'. I asked her if she wanted me to hold her and she just shook her head yes. Breaks my heart! Then they have us go to the immunization nurse and she said, "You can sit on the table of in the chair on your mommy's lap." This time, Lynzi pointed to me! (I gotta tell ya, I am glad!) She sits on one side and the nurse gives her two shots. She starts crying and moving around....and moving around....and crying. The nurse said, "Turn her around so I can give the other 2 shots in her other arm." She was not going to let that happen. She kept hiding her arm. Finally the nurse and I got her held down and she got the other 2 shots. She didn't cry as much on those actually! She cried all the way down the hall and out the door. She was so pathetic...everyone would stop to console her. One lady, seeing tears in my eyes said, "It will be ok, mom!" Lynzi had on a tank top and so it showed all 4 band-aids on her arms...and then one on her finger. All the way home (which isn't far at all) she would quiet down and then start crying again as if she was thinking about what just happened and her feelings were hurt. As she was crying she said, "I didn't know she was going to hurt me! I thought they were going to put something around my arm." I asked her what she meant and she said, "You know like on (that cartoon) where the big sister broke her arm and she got something on it." So apparently she thought she was getting a cast today. Even this evening when she was telling Daddy about her day she started to get teary eyed and said, "I don't even want to cry again!"
The whole experience was so emotional for both of us! I just hated that she was sooooo excited and then was so disappointed! The dr. gave her a new book! Much better than a sticker or sucker! She did go to VBS at the church down our road tonight and had a fun time. She was moving around like nothing ever happened! However, when it was convenient ...she was in pain and couldn't do tasks like feeding herself or putting on her jammies. I wonder where she gets that!
We are planning on having a good day tomorrow!

No comments: